HARRY

 

SPECIFICATIONS:

Leeward hull: 12 m (40′)
Windward hull: 9 m (29’6″)
Beam: 6.75 m (22’3″)
Sailing weight: 800 kg (1764 lbs)
Payload approx. 800 kg (1764 lbs)*
Sail Area: 42 m sq (452 ft sq)
Draft: 0.350 m – 1.1 m (13″ – 3’6″)
RM: 6 tonne metres
Berths: Main – queen, Second – double
*Note: additional payload (water/fuel tanks, small generator, batteries, stowage etc) can be added to the lee hull at the expense of speed.

The plans for strip planked harrys are still available, but the preferred build method now is to infuse it from foam and glass.

The first harry was an experimental boat built in my garage and assembled on a mudflat. It proved the concept worked, but was, to say the least, somewhat rough.

In 2003, Bain Robinson started building ‘Aroha’ which was launched in 2004. Aroha is strip planked timber and was quick and easy to build as well as being surprisingly spacious and comfortable. In 2006 he sailed it across the Tasman Sea, encountering a fairly severe storm on the way. His description of the voyage follows.

The trip from Coffs harbour (Aus east coast) to Houhora (NZ north east
 coast) via Lord Howe Island was interesting. The boat performed well
 apart from a couple of minor breakages and the leeward hull flexing
 issue.
 
Got quite a lot of light to no wind – 12 hrs motoring in the 52 hrs to
Lord Howe (310 n miles). Rest of the time head winds, but always
managed to make our course. 6 hrs east of Lord Howe we broke a sheet
pad eye and had a rudder pin working out. The wind got up to 35 knots
so put out parachute till weather calmed enough to sort out the rudder. Wind got up to 45 but we were reasonably comfortable.

It settled down after 36 hrs.

About 200 miles out from Lord Howe the leeward hull started flexing
badly in a beam chop. I was very concerned, turning back wasn’t a good option – strong westerly forecast to the west and the island didn’t
 seem like a place to do repairs. The wind dropped so we decided to use
the jib halyard as a shroud. Worked a treat so decided to continue and
take it easy. So did the rest of the trip under main only, with 1 and
2 reefs in the whole way. I was amazed how well she went, approaching
North Cape had 18 – 20 knots a bit behind the beam, couldn’t slow her,
had 2 reefs in still doing 12 knots on the gps. This is with heaps of
food and water and gear onboard.
 
It took 7 days L H to Houhora (730 n miles). Only problem we had was
she would occasionally round up into the wind when going to windward.
Still haven’t quite figured that one out. Rudders worked fine which
was one of my concerns.
 
On inspection, we found that the ring bulkhead at the mast cracked at
bottom on leeward side. It pulled apart rather than compressing as
would make sense in that spot.
 
 I have put in solid 5mm ply and glass bulkheads at beam sockets and
 12mm ply and glass ring bulkheads at mast (edit, these were in the original drawings but were somehow left out of the boat). I was considering stronger
between mast and beams, but it seems to be working fine as is.